The Crisis Center Mobile Pantry Program provides monthly grocery assistance to residents of underserved and/or rural areas in Johnson County. Service is provided via a truck set up as a shopping-style pantry. The Mobile Pantry Intern is responsible for supporting the operations of the Mobile Pantry program and its volunteers in a fun, fast-paced work environment. Included in this position are the training and onboarding of Mobile Pantry volunteers, direct client services, and clerical duties.
Ideal candidates have previous leadership experience and enjoy interacting with people of diverse ages and backgrounds and working as part of a team. Applicants must be energetic, self-motivated, organized, and have strong communication and leadership skills. This position reports to and works closely with the Mobile Pantry Coordinator.
Applicants must have availability on Tuesdays 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM, Wednesdays 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM, and Thursdays 10:30 AM to 6:30 PM. 15-20 hours per week; hours may vary.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Supports volunteers in providing client services and other daily operations, using stairs to enter the
truck and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Assists Mobile Pantry Coordinator to orient, train and supervise Mobile Pantry volunteers
- Provides direct client services and answers client questions in person and on the phone
- Develops and implements client surveys and regular outcome measurements
- Enters data in an electronic database and Microsoft Excel and files volunteer and client records
- Drives large refrigerated van when volunteers are unavailable
Desired Education and Experience: Some post-secondary education in human services or a related field and one year of experience in a volunteer-driven social service organization is preferred. Fluency in Spanish is desired.
Necessary Skills and Requirements:
- Ability to model for volunteers a client-centered, compassionate, non-judgmental approach
- Ability to respond immediately and constructively to crisis situations in a calm, positive manner
- Detail-oriented with strong organization skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office, especially Excel, and electronic databases
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team
- Ability to work with a flexible schedule
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume electronically to Mobile Pantry Coordinator Jennifer De La Cruz at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Mobile Pantry Intern” as the subject line, or by mail to:
Mobile Pantry Coordinator
The Crisis Center of Johnson County
1121 Gilbert Court
Iowa City, IA 52240
The Crisis Center of Johnson County is an equal opportunity employer.