At Iowa Crisis Chat, we want to be there for you when you are in crisis, but currently, we don’t have the resources to be available 24/7. For immediate assistance, please call our 24-Hour Crisis Line at 1-855-325-4296. We’re working hard to increase our capacity, but when we are not available when you need resources more specific to what you’re going through or you need services that Iowa Crisis Chat doesn’t offer, here are some options we’ve found to be helpful.
If you are in immediate danger, call 911
If you are suicidal or otherwise in crisis
If you are suicidal or otherwise in crisis and need to speak with someone immediately, contact any of these free, confidential crisis counseling services where you can talk about whatever’s on your mind in a safe, non-judgmental environment:
- Call The Crisis Center at 1-855-325-4296. The Crisis Center’s crisis line is a 24-hour hotline for anyone who is going through emotional distress or is in suicidal crisis. The Crisis Center is staffed by trained volunteer peer crisis counselors ready to talk to you about whatever you define as a crisis.
- Chat at IowaCrisisChat.org. IowaCrisisChat.org is a program of The Crisis Center of Johnson County, Iowa offering online emotional support and referrals. The Crisis Center is staffed by trained volunteer peer crisis counselors ready to chat with you about whatever you define as a crisis.
- Call The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). The Lifeline is a 24-hour hotline that consists of a large network of centers so that you can reach a crisis counselor right away.
- Chat through Lifeline Crisis Chat at SuicidePreventionLifeline.org. If it is outside of IowaCrisisChat.org’s hours, you can log in to Lifeline Crisis Chat for online emotional support and referrals.
Other Emergency Services
- Child Abuse: If you are a victim of child abuse or know someone who is being abused, please call the Child Help Line at 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453).
- Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. Poison control is a free, 24-hour hotline for anyone in need of medical information and resources for poisoning, including alcohol and household cleaners.
Are any of the links above broken? Please email email@example.com and let us know.
Johnson County resources: Please visit Johnson County Social Services to download their comprehensive local resource directory. This directory is updated regularly and contains full agency and provider listings.
If you need to talk, please call (319) 351-0140. We’re available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Depression Symptoms, Types, Complications & Warning Signs
A comprehensive resource from the WebMD website.
Depression Myths & Facts
Deborah Gray identifies the most common myths about depression and explains the real story.
Warning Signs of Suicide
Know what to look for and how to respond.
The American Association of Suicidology is nationally recognized for its efforts in suicide research, education, prevention programs, and treatment. Several resources from their website are highlighted below.
If You are Thinking About Suicide
Important ideas to consider if you are experiencing suicidal thoughts.
Suicide in the U.S.
The most recent data available regarding the incidence of suicide in the United States.
Guide to Bullying and Cyberbullying
According to the most recent numbers by the National Center for Education, 28% of students aged 12-18 have experienced bullying first hand and over 43% have witnessed or experienced cyber-bullying online.
Dealing With Depression: Self-Help & Coping Tips
Practical ideas and suggestions from the HelpGuide.org non-profit website.
How Family & Friends Can Help Someone Who Is Depressed
Find out where to get help for depression and how to help a depressed person from Healthy Place.
The Crisis Center facilitates a support group for those who have lost a loved one or friend to suicide. This group meets the first and third Thursday of each month from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at The 1105 Project Building.
The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is at the forefront of suicide survivor resources, support and education. Several resources from their website are highlighted below.
United Way of Johnson County
The United Way of Johnson County improves lives by engaging community resources to address basic and urgent needs today and reduce those needs for the future.